In 2012 I will attempt to finish my first marathon, and not just any marathon, the Boston marathon. I will be running for the Melanoma Foundation, a charity that looks at Melaonma with an upstream focus and created to combat the rising rate of melanoma and melanoma deaths. They provide educational programs targeting the prevention and early detection of skin cancer and melanoma for both children and adults! My goal is to raise $10,000 for them, and any amount helps.You can purchase burpees for $50 each, and there is only 351 343 of them available! I will do all the burpees over the course of the marathon, so the more you donate, the more pain I get to endure :) You can also donate for the heck of it, or because you support the cause but not suffering!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Up and running

I found out on Friday that I would be getting a charity bib for Melanoma Foundation, so its time get serious about my training. I'm fairly nervous for two reasons: 1. I've never run a marathon and 2. The burpee madness idea could be the death of me. I just have to remember how hard all cancer patients have to fight every day and how miserable they must feel as the drugs are helping them get better, and that anything I might endure will pale in comparison. I've started trying to do burpees every day. I managed to crank out 100 yesterday and 101 today, so as long as I keep this up I think I will be OK on this front. Major problem about the 201 burpees I have done so far? I did them barefoot, and now have some great feeling rips on the bottoms of my big toes...apparently I need to toughen up my feet! I did some sprints yesterday for running and plan to follow CrossFit Endurance for the running portion of my training. My good friend Neal Thompson of CrossFit Boston has offered to help me create a training program, which will certainly put me in shape!

So far on the fundraising front I havent gotten my feet beneath me. I started a mailing list so I can send newsletters to all interested parties and created this blog. Hopefully soon I will have my donation pagerom the Melanoma Foundation and can start raising money!

No comments:

Post a Comment