In 2012 I will attempt to finish my first marathon, and not just any marathon, the Boston marathon. I will be running for the Melanoma Foundation, a charity that looks at Melaonma with an upstream focus and created to combat the rising rate of melanoma and melanoma deaths. They provide educational programs targeting the prevention and early detection of skin cancer and melanoma for both children and adults! My goal is to raise $10,000 for them, and any amount helps.You can purchase burpees for $50 each, and there is only 351 343 of them available! I will do all the burpees over the course of the marathon, so the more you donate, the more pain I get to endure :) You can also donate for the heck of it, or because you support the cause but not suffering!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Vietnamese Chicken Soup

Im contemplating creating another paleo cookbook as a way to raise some money - since it helped me raise $2500 for Fight Gone Bad before. An idea I'm toying with is finally finishing my Paleo Parties book, the recipes have all been written, but I gobbled up all the food before taking all the tasty pictures (in my defense, I was pregnant at the time). That means a lot more eating in and breaking out my apron once again! Below was a great dish I made, that very well make it into the date night section, especially for any non-cooks trying to impress their significant others. Without further ado, Vietnamese Chicken Soup (its paleo, but if you aren't paleo, you can add in bean sprouts and water chestnuts!)


What you need:
4 cups chicken broth
4 chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp Fish sauce (for paleo peeps, this you have to find specially since most contain sugar as an ingredient)
4-5 tbsp Mint, chopped
4-5 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
1 tsp peppercorns
4 inches of ginger, peeled
1 Lime, wedged

How to make it:
In a soup pot add the chicken broth, peppercorns, half the ginger, fish sauce and chicken and put over medium heat. 
In a skillet sautee the onions until golden, toss them in with the soup. Mince the remaining ginger and sautee until golden as well. Toss it in with the soup. 
When the soup boils, the chicken should be nearly cooked, if it isn't wait a few more minutes. If it is, take it out and shred it (to do this, use two forks, one holds the chicken in place, the other scrapes at it until the chicken falls apart)
Put in the shredded chicken and mix well. Serve with the fresh herbs and squeezed lime juice and voila! You have a quick, awesome, delicious meal!

Like the recipe? Donate any amount to support my Boston Marathon bid! All donations are 100% tax deductible and go 100% to the Melanoma Foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment