In 2012 I will attempt to finish my first marathon, and not just any marathon, the Boston marathon. I will be running for the Melanoma Foundation, a charity that looks at Melaonma with an upstream focus and created to combat the rising rate of melanoma and melanoma deaths. They provide educational programs targeting the prevention and early detection of skin cancer and melanoma for both children and adults! My goal is to raise $10,000 for them, and any amount helps.You can purchase burpees for $50 each, and there is only 351 343 of them available! I will do all the burpees over the course of the marathon, so the more you donate, the more pain I get to endure :) You can also donate for the heck of it, or because you support the cause but not suffering!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Butternut Squash Recipe

Thanks so much to everyone who has supported the Melanoma Foundation cause! Please join our mailing list, or pass along my blog to anyone you might think interested. Don't forget to donate a burpee along the marathon route! 100% of the donations go straight to the Melanoma Foundation! Or, if you like the recipe, feel free to donate what you think it is worth to my cause! Even $1 adds up!

Tonight I invented an easy butternut squash dish. I think its the perfect fall dish, a little sweet and a bit savory and completely yummified. It would go great as a side to roast rosemary chicken or a roasted leg of something or rather.


What you need:
2 tbsp grease (butter/bacon grease/coconut oil)
1 Butternut squash, peeled and sliced
5 scallions, minced
3-6 oz dried unsweetened Mango, chopped (add more for a sweeter dish)
1/4 c white wine
*I got my unsweetened mango from Trader Joe's and I know Whole Foods also sells unsweetened dried mango. Other than these two places, the dried mango I have seen always has a bunch of sugar added.

How to make it:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In an oven proof pan and lid, heat the grease over medium, add in butternut squash, scallions and mango and cook over high for 4-5 minutes, until the bottom of the squash gets a nice golden brown. Cover and put in the oven for ~15 minutes. Add white wine and keep in oven for another 10 minutes, or until the squash is soft. Remove from oven and let sit for ~5 minutes (mostly to cool off some) and serve! 

Like the recipe? Donate any amount to support my Boston Marathon bid! All donations are 100% tax deductible and go 100% to the Melanoma Foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment