In 2012 I will attempt to finish my first marathon, and not just any marathon, the Boston marathon. I will be running for the Melanoma Foundation, a charity that looks at Melaonma with an upstream focus and created to combat the rising rate of melanoma and melanoma deaths. They provide educational programs targeting the prevention and early detection of skin cancer and melanoma for both children and adults! My goal is to raise $10,000 for them, and any amount helps.You can purchase burpees for $50 each, and there is only 351 343 of them available! I will do all the burpees over the course of the marathon, so the more you donate, the more pain I get to endure :) You can also donate for the heck of it, or because you support the cause but not suffering!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Pudding

Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. The weather is brisk in the morning and perfect in the afternoon. The scenery is a beautifl array of multi-colored leaves and pumpkinas are in the market. Pumpkin pie is my absolute favorite dessert, and have recreated it with a paleo (or primal) twist. With no crust it is really less of a pie and more of a pudding or custard, which is fine by me!

If you like the recipe below, or any of the others I have posted so far (like Vietnamese chicken soup or Mango Butternut Squash) please donate to the Melanoma Foundation for my Boston Marathon Burpee Madness bid! 100% of the donations go towards upstream education and social research on Melanoma prevention, Im funding all of the recipes and training fees on my own.


What you need:
1 16 oz can of Pumpkin (or 16oz fresh pureed pumpkin)
1 12 oz can of Coconut milk (Paleo) or evaporated milk (primal)
1/4c honey
2 eggs
1/8c minced raisins
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Ginger - the secret ingredient!
How to make it:
Preheat the oven to 415 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl add in pumpkin, spices, eggs and raisins, mix well. Stir in honey and milk. Put the mix in a greased pie pan and bake at 415 for 15 minutes, then lower to 350 for another 25 minutes, until the pie sets. It will cook faster than a normal pumpkin pie since there is no crust.

With a 9in pan we got a pumpkin bread pudding type of texture and flavor. If you want it to be a bit thicker in consistency try using a much larger pan (like a 9x13 pyrex). I tend to love the top skin, so Im certainly going to try this next time.

A big thanks to my little sous chef, who did a great job adding the perfect amount of spices and cracking eggs like an expert!



Don't forget to donate to the Melanoma Foundation for my Boston Marathon Burpee Madness bid, every little bit counts! Feel free to spread the word about the crazy girl doing up to 351 burpees while running a marathon - all for a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment