In 2012 I will attempt to finish my first marathon, and not just any marathon, the Boston marathon. I will be running for the Melanoma Foundation, a charity that looks at Melaonma with an upstream focus and created to combat the rising rate of melanoma and melanoma deaths. They provide educational programs targeting the prevention and early detection of skin cancer and melanoma for both children and adults! My goal is to raise $10,000 for them, and any amount helps.You can purchase burpees for $50 each, and there is only 351 343 of them available! I will do all the burpees over the course of the marathon, so the more you donate, the more pain I get to endure :) You can also donate for the heck of it, or because you support the cause but not suffering!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Deadlifts and Burpees

Today was my fourth workout in so many days, which I think is a real improvement from my training routine of late! We hit up and evening at CFB with sprout in tow and got in some bench presses and then a brutal heavy deadlift and burpee workout. The workout was: 7 rounds for time of 3 Deadlifts (155#), 7 burpees over the bar, I finished in 6:38 and think my burpees will really benefit from it!

I was perusing the TED talks more (I love watching TED talks) and saw one of Jamie Oliver talking about teaching our kids about food. I thought it was a great awakening to what is going on not inly in America, but also around the world, as other cultures are beginning to eat our diet of sugar, corn and processed ingredients. I found it incredibly alarming that a majority of kindergarten students were unable to identify what I consider as staple vegetables, tomatoes, mushrooms, brocolli etc. Sometimes I find Jamie's personality a little abrasive, but find it easy to really get behind him, both on his shows and on this talk. If we just started cooking from home, with whole ingredients, we would be so much healthier as a nation.

I don't quite understand the time or cost factors in not cooking from home (although I do understand the accessibility issue). For example, tonight for dinner we had chopped cauliflower mixed with a quarter head of cabbage and some delicious beef. It took no more than 20 minutes to prep and cook, maybe another 2 cleaning up after, and cost less than $15. Now, $15 would be expensive if I was just feeding myself, but I fed my hungry, bottomless pit husband and our bean sprout - now its not looking so expensive, especially considering when we go out to eat it costs at least $20 from our favorite local "fast food" restaurant and takes easily 20 minutes to get down there, pickup our order and get home. Bottom line is, we have to start teaching our kids, friends and family how to cook again, and how to make delicious food easily, with few ingredients.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment